Skip to main content

Morningside Civic Association/NPU-F Weighs In

Attachment to a broadcast email sent by Charlotte Gillis, Board Member for MLPA and NPU-F :

July 31, 2008

Dear Mayor Franklin,

I understand that Mr. Tom Coffin, Senior Arborist and one of our most valuable city employees (from the perspective of tax-paying citizens who want their trees protected), was fired on July 29, 2008 by Mr. Ibraham Maslamani. Based on information I have received, there was no appropriate process by which a supervisor (Mr. Maslamani) informs an employee (Mr. Coffin) of performance problems and advises that employee of the required changes necessary to keep the job. I have worked with Mr. Coffin for over six years in my capacity as the Chair of the Environmental Affairs Committee for Morningside Lenox Park Association (MLPA) and as the Chair of the Tree Committee for NPU-F. I am fearful that the efforts of Mr. Coffin to bring the Arborist Division and its staff into compliance with the City Tree Protection Ordinance led to his dismissal. Please see the attached file with data regarding the performance of the Arborist Division.

Mr. Coffin was the City Arborist assigned to my Morningside neighborhood for several years, until this last year when he was transferred to the Buckhead neighborhood. During that time I had many occasions to work with Mr. Coffin on various tree protection issues involving residential and commercial locations. I do not exaggerate when I tell you that I have not seen more exemplary service from a city employee. Mr. Coffin is extremely responsive, knowledgeable and fair, even when his “fairness” has not always been in my favor. Mr. Coffin always upholds the Tree Ordinance, letting neither his personal interest in protecting the trees nor the pressure of the development community influence his decisions.

The level of respect and trust that Mr. Coffin has built among the many citizens of Atlanta who want to protect the environmental quality of their neighborhoods makes me curious as to the true cause for his firing. The City of Atlanta, and especially your administration, has worked very hard to obtain qualified staff to make this city world class in all respects. Your commitment to environmental issues and the quality of our air and water –which are directly linked to our tree canopy--convinces me that you would support an employee as conscientious and hard working as Mr. Coffin.

I hope you will be able to correct this matter as soon as possible. I do not see this firing as being of any benefit to the city, our environmental quality or our neighborhoods.

Thank you for your time and attention to this matter.

Sincerely,
Charlotte Gillis
Board Member for MLPA and NPU-F

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Appeals to the Tree Conservation Commission, 2008

Appeals to the Tree Conservation Commission, 2008 By Tom Coffin, Ph.D. Appeals to the Tree Conservation Commission are, by design, an integral part of the Tree Protection Ordinance. Like most laws, the TPO is a relatively blunt instrument. Though reasonable and effective most of the time, it does not cover all situations all the time, nor is it fair to all parties all the time. Appeals to the TCC provide an administrative means to resolve disputes. Unlike a Municipal Court hearing – also possible under the ordinance -- where decisions are usually based on the “letter of the law,” appeal hearings before the TCC often allow for some bending of the law as written to encompass a specific situation. At its best, the TCC acts as the “conscience of the community” in its decision-making. Both the commission and the appeal process have matured. After more than eight years of use and testing, both work rather admirably when allowed to do so. Under the Tree Protection Ordinance, every decision (s...

Urban Forest Fiasco

From Creative Loafing... "Tom Coffin loves trees. And when we say he loves trees, he reaaally loves trees. The unfamiliar face – who was the city's senior arborist until he was fired July 29 – is the epicenter of the latest scandal to emanate from already embattled City Hall. The city's failure to specify why Coffin was fired (or who called for it) has led many to speculate about the cause – and jump to the conclusion that developers saw him as a threat. Even the New York Times took notice – and questioned whether Atlanta's development machine had chalked a win over the environmental community." ... more

Huffington Post Comments

The Huffington Post picked up the New York Times story as soon as it was published. Here is a comment to the article from their Web site : "well it's nice to hear that at least someone was doing their job because when I drive through this city the question that repeatedly comes to my mind is: why does atlanta even have a tree ordinance? the developers here still clear-cut old large trees then replant saplings - and given the stress that these trees are under it is highly doubtful they will ever reach the size of the ones that are being cut down.I've lived here for almost 2 decades and I continue to be appalled at what the city allows developers to get away with here. we're running out of water and they still keep handing out the building permits. we're losing our oldest and largest tress to greed and the city just keeps handing out the permits. truely this city is f-ed at this point. so I guess given that developers always get their way in this place it comes as no...