From: sheldon schlegman
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 6:10 PM
To: mayor franklin
Subject: Tom Coffin fired!
Mayor Franklin:
I was Atlanta's first chairman of the Tree Conservation Commission (TCC). It was a difficult job because Mayor Campbell, who had not appointed a single commissioner his 1st term, did not want a Tree Commission. It interfered with his questionable relationships with developers. After getting the TCC operational and serving as Chairman for 2 1/2 years I was not reappointed for another term. It was obvious to all that I was interfering with the Mayors cronies usual method of doing business with the city.
History is unfortunately repeating itself. Tom Coffin arborist supervisor, was relieved of his responsibilities today by Ibraham Maslamani without explanation. I have known Mr. Coffin since our days as Commissioners on the 1st TCC. He served admirably in that position and was later hired as an arborist. His knowledge of the Ordinance and application of it to protect
Atlanta's trees was extraordinary. He was invaluable to a committee I served on for 18 months rewriting the Tree Protection Ordinance at the request of Michael Dobbins. It was during that re-write that the Tree Trust Fund was established. It has provided the City with many millions of dollars to replant Atlanta's diminishing forest.
Please do what you can to see that this egregious error is corrected. I have already received numerous calls and email from friends and concerned citizens throughout Atlanta expressing their disbelief that such a dedicated employee has been let go.
Please keep the good ones!
Sheldon Schlegman
Atlanta, GA
Sent: Tuesday, July 29, 2008 6:10 PM
To: mayor franklin
Subject: Tom Coffin fired!
Mayor Franklin:
I was Atlanta's first chairman of the Tree Conservation Commission (TCC). It was a difficult job because Mayor Campbell, who had not appointed a single commissioner his 1st term, did not want a Tree Commission. It interfered with his questionable relationships with developers. After getting the TCC operational and serving as Chairman for 2 1/2 years I was not reappointed for another term. It was obvious to all that I was interfering with the Mayors cronies usual method of doing business with the city.
History is unfortunately repeating itself. Tom Coffin arborist supervisor, was relieved of his responsibilities today by Ibraham Maslamani without explanation. I have known Mr. Coffin since our days as Commissioners on the 1st TCC. He served admirably in that position and was later hired as an arborist. His knowledge of the Ordinance and application of it to protect
Atlanta's trees was extraordinary. He was invaluable to a committee I served on for 18 months rewriting the Tree Protection Ordinance at the request of Michael Dobbins. It was during that re-write that the Tree Trust Fund was established. It has provided the City with many millions of dollars to replant Atlanta's diminishing forest.
Please do what you can to see that this egregious error is corrected. I have already received numerous calls and email from friends and concerned citizens throughout Atlanta expressing their disbelief that such a dedicated employee has been let go.
Please keep the good ones!
Sheldon Schlegman
Atlanta, GA
Comments