A broadcast email sent from Tom Coffin on August 16, 2008:
Friends:
I again give you my heartfelt thanks for your continuing support. I am neither optimistic nor pessimistic at this point. Much depends on the independence and integrity of the HR officer assigned to the case, Al Elder. He appears to be conducting a thorough investigation. He has agreed to look into the “plan” referenced by Commissioner Cover in his email to Mr. Maslamani, as well as to include Luz Borrero in his interview schedule. I don’t know when (or even if) he will issue a report or, if he does, whether it will be available to either the public or to me. Mr. Elder’s suggestion of a meeting between Cover, Maslamani, my supervisor Ainsley Caldwell and me has not materialized.
There is continued media interest in the case. Ch. 2 scheduled another interview last week, only to cancel so the reporter could cover the molestation case in Clayton County. Both the AJC and Creative Loafing have stories in the pipeline. The AJC article is scheduled to appear on Monday. I don’t know what CL’s publication schedule is like. The Buckhead Reporter says that they intend to continue coverage.
Both the AJC and CL have access to the documents I requested under the Open Records law and have questioned me extensively about their contents. They have also put in OR requests for documents related to the “plan,” as have I. I have also asked for additional access to documents – when the city responded to my original request they sent me a bill for 577 pages. When I went to review them the first time I was told that they had been “sent upstairs” for further review. The next day I was allowed to view 134 pages. I have asked them to produce the other 423 documents.
Mary Norwood has said that she intends to introduce a resolution for an independent investigation at the City Council meeting at 1 p.m. Monday 8/18. Interested citizens are being asked to attend. I believe that there is time allotted for input from the audience. I will include the link to the DailyKos site calling for participation. The link also includes most of the press reports to date. It is
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/8/14/185720/594/441/568072
Thanks again,
Tom Coffin
Friends:
I again give you my heartfelt thanks for your continuing support. I am neither optimistic nor pessimistic at this point. Much depends on the independence and integrity of the HR officer assigned to the case, Al Elder. He appears to be conducting a thorough investigation. He has agreed to look into the “plan” referenced by Commissioner Cover in his email to Mr. Maslamani, as well as to include Luz Borrero in his interview schedule. I don’t know when (or even if) he will issue a report or, if he does, whether it will be available to either the public or to me. Mr. Elder’s suggestion of a meeting between Cover, Maslamani, my supervisor Ainsley Caldwell and me has not materialized.
There is continued media interest in the case. Ch. 2 scheduled another interview last week, only to cancel so the reporter could cover the molestation case in Clayton County. Both the AJC and Creative Loafing have stories in the pipeline. The AJC article is scheduled to appear on Monday. I don’t know what CL’s publication schedule is like. The Buckhead Reporter says that they intend to continue coverage.
Both the AJC and CL have access to the documents I requested under the Open Records law and have questioned me extensively about their contents. They have also put in OR requests for documents related to the “plan,” as have I. I have also asked for additional access to documents – when the city responded to my original request they sent me a bill for 577 pages. When I went to review them the first time I was told that they had been “sent upstairs” for further review. The next day I was allowed to view 134 pages. I have asked them to produce the other 423 documents.
Mary Norwood has said that she intends to introduce a resolution for an independent investigation at the City Council meeting at 1 p.m. Monday 8/18. Interested citizens are being asked to attend. I believe that there is time allotted for input from the audience. I will include the link to the DailyKos site calling for participation. The link also includes most of the press reports to date. It is
http://www.dailykos.com/story/2008/8/14/185720/594/441/568072
Thanks again,
Tom Coffin
Comments